Monday, November 23, 2009

No news is not always good news

As the time goes by, and new things happen in our lives, we seem to forget and loose interest in the stories that are not in [I]the news.[/I] Our lives revolve around information that we get, mostly on TV. They will tell us when something is important to think about, and when it is not important anymore. The same applies to story about Mariam's disappearance. We saw waves of information, legions of media occupying the premises of FHCI, front of Mariam's building, place where the backpack was found, but just as long as there is something new and sensational to report about. And then, they are all gone. In the hunt for [I]new news.[/I] I am seriously disappointed with the level of journalism that was displayed in case of Mariam Makhniashvili. No one, and I will repeat no one took this seriously and to their heart. Sadly, most of our questions will stay unanswered, although they are not state secret. Did family indeed pass lie detector tests? Was it usual for Mariam to make last minute decisions such as changing her mind about what entrance she was going to use? Did she talk to anyone during her volunteer time with YMCA, or did she make any contact with anyone during their meetings? How often did she meet with other YMCA youth? Where were the meetings? Who accompanied her there? Do buildings along Shallmar have security cameras? What was her usual routine for lunch? Why did George think that she was ill and went home when he could not find her for lunch? What did make him to think that she was ill?

I have so many questions, and I know that we all have so many questions here. It takes one intelligent reporter to, at least get answers to some of those questions. But no, they choose to stay on the surface, and we can only guess and speculate. I have to admit it bothers me.

No comments: